Sunday, January 3, 2021

What's New For Monique DeVere in 2021 #WritingGoals #NewYearGoals #Writerlife #WritingCommunity #ChristianWriters #Books

According to the Gregorian calendar, it's a New Year. Biblically speaking, the New Year isn't until the spring, but that's a different post. So, for now, going along with the Gregorian calendar, this is a time of year when most people reflect on the previous months and make plans to change things for the better in the coming months. I don't usually do the whole reflection thing, but in the last few months, things have changed where my writing is concerned, which means my whole view of my writing career has changed. 

As much as I love to write romance, I now find myself taking a different direction into women's Christian fiction. My books have always contained an element of Christianity, but, sadly, my characters were lukewarm Christians. For the purpose of the market for which I was writing, this had to be the case. As these stories aren't in-your-face Christian, I'm not sure many people would have recognised the Christian element. I would describe my previous books as sweet and sensual clean romance. While there are love scenes, there is no foul language or obscenities, and the stories are all feel-good sweet. Now, I feel it's time to move forward into writing completely Christian stories. 

So, why did it take so long to get to this point?

The short answer is, I've been chasing the Harlequin Mills & Boon market. Deep down, I knew this was not what Father had for me, but I'd invested so many many years in my apprenticeship in this market that I couldn't just give up. If I did, it would make me a quitter, right? That was my thinking, anyway. I hate to admit this, but I've been targeting the HMB market--on and off--for over thirty years! Thirty-two, to be exact! How sad is that? It was only this last year that I finally accepted that while I was getting great feedback and encouragement from the editors, the door still wasn't going to open no matter how many revise and resubmits I did, for the simple fact that it is not Father's will.

So many times in life, we walk with Father and still stumble out of His will for our lives. In every other area of my life, Father's will is present and my life is amazingly happy. I have the worlds most wonderful husband who gets me like no one else. Father has given us healthy, godly, intelligent children and grandchildren. And our family life is filled with a lot of laughter, peace and joy. 

But, in this one area of my life--my career--I've felt unfulfilled...until now. Once I stopped listening to the enemy, who loved to assure me I wasn't good enough to write Christian fiction, everything fell into place. I've never been a lukewarm believer, and I still am not, which means the stories Father has given me to write are pretty hard-hitting without being preachy. 

There's no doubt about the fact we are most certainly living in the End Times. We are all short on time to buck up. Long gone are the days when we had the luxury of coming to Yahawashi (he whom you call Jesus) in our own sweet time. We are at a point where we have to pick a side. Choose this day whom you will serve. Yahawah or satan. "As for me and my house, we will serve Yahawah"--Joshua 24:15.  

This being the case, moving forward, I will be concentrating on my new Christian Speculative Thriller series and my new women's Christian fiction. 

I'm currently working on book #1 in the thriller series--entitled Victor's Crown--and also book #1 in the women's series--entitled Soul Food Prayer Group: Ladies Who Pray. I can't wait to share more about these stories.  

So, as from 2021, I'll be doing the job I've been called to do--working for the Heavenly Kingdom. And I can't wait!

What are your plans for 2021?

 

bloggerwidgets
Close [x]

14 comments:

  1. I plan to pray the rosary daily and get better with praying the Liturgy of the Hours. I enjoyed your post and pray you will continue to follow His will for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayer, Kara. You're very sweet. Spending time in prayer will always set us right. I pray you find revelation and a deeper relationship with our Saviour through your pray time in the coming year.

      Delete
  2. Isn’t it amazing how things fall into place when you listen to what you know is right? May your new path be fulfilling and full of blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. They do indeed! :). Blessings to you, too.

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way when it came to writing Regency. I never felt as if I had a story, or the right story. And, then I did! it's an amazing feeling. You'll do great, Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My plans for 2021 are: To re-release book 1 of my Regency Rebel Lords of London and subsequently book 2, then a contemporary novella tied to book 2, then book 3. All of which are written, and currently in the editor's hand. I also completed a mystery romance (clean) and have a contemporary novel that I'm going to submit to several publishers for consideration. 2021 will be a big year for releases for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "2021 will be a big year for releases for me." For sure! I think you might have more hours in the day than I have, Kathy LOL. You might need to teach me time-management!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great plan. I enjoyed the post! I'm going to try my best to write each day, at least for 10 minutes. Best of luck with your plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the busiest person I know, Alicia! How you do all that you do, and still manage to be so prolific is beyond me. I look forward to seeing your many projects come to light in this coming year :)

      Delete
  6. Oh Wow, Monique what a lovely testimony and timely reminder. My goals for 2021 is to keep getting books in audio, finish editing and publish my 5th Tempered book, Tempered Truth, hopefully complete more novella/novels. Good luck and God's blessings with your new career path!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela. Sounds like you've got a solid plan. What a great idea to get out more audio books. More and more people are preferring audio books. They very well might be the future...

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing so much about yourself! I plan to get new words on the page every day, finish up a Regency Christmas novella, and then focus more on historical romantic suspense and mystery. And I cannot wait to be able to go back to church instead of watching mass on television!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your Christmas story at the end of the year, Alina. It would be lovely to get a lot of stories out in 2021. I'm sure you'll be back in church before too much longer 😊

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I greatly appreciate it! :) :)